dictionary: a solemn request for help to expression of thanks addressed to God or an object of worship; an earnest hope or wish.
- Asking for external help for a certain result.
- The work required is in the act of praying itself. If you feel better or relieved after praying, that’s an added benefit, but it’s not the focus.
- The belief is that someone or something is there on your side, watching out for your best interest, granting your needs and wishes.
- There are things beyond your control and the God or object you’re asking help from somehow has the ability to dictate results.
dictionary: (originally in Hinduism and Buddhism), a word or sound repeated to aid concentration in meditation.
- Helps you focus and clear the mind.
- Through clarity of mind, you are able to summon will power and courage.
- You’re not powerless in changing outcomes in life.
- Mantras such as OM are meant to connect us deeper to our breath. The goal is not to talk to someone outside of ourselves, but for us to feel better, more secure with ourselves, in reciting the mantra.
- Mantras such as “I am strong” or “breathe” empower us to take control of our thoughts, feelings, and actions so that we are prepared for what we want to accomplish.
- The self and all that is within our power to control are the central focus.
- The strength we draw from, is internal.