Always consult your veterinarian if changing or adding new ingredients to your dog’s diet. Introduce new ingredients gradually. Strive for balance and moderation. Certain foods can be harmful and might not be safe for your dogs to eat.
We have two dogs and one is an absolute foodie. We snack together and she gets a little disappointed when I bake muffins and she doesn’t get any. Enter, molasses mini-cake.
Unsulphured blackstrap molasses contains tons of nutrients and antioxidants. However, I make sure to not overload it, because of the sugar content. You can always sub with pure maple syrup. With that said, compared to pre-packaged treat, this recipe has tons of goodness, such as chia and flaxseeds. For our dogs, both around 11 to 14 lbs. I give half a cake per serving. each.
- 2 tbs flaxseeds or flax meal
- 1 tbs chai seeds or ground chia
- 6 tbs filtered water
- 1 cup buckwheat loosely measured
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 overly ripened bananas
- 1 4 oz. cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 tsp apple cider
- 2 tbs olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 tbs unsulphured blackstrap molasses (refrain from using sulphured molasses). I use Wholesome's fair-trade organic one.
- Preheat oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- Grind flax and chia seeds. Skip if using flax meal or ground chia. Place in a medium bowl and add 6 tbs of filtered water and let it sit for 3 minutes.
- While soaking the seeds, in a separate bowl, mix buckwheat flour with baking soda. Set aside.
- Take the ripened bananas and mix and mash with the seeds. Add the rest of the wet ingredients, mix properly.
- Add the dry ingredients.
- Take 4 tart cups for larger cakes, or 6 muffin cups. Grease cups if using not-stick cups or line tray with muffin parchment paper. The video demonstrates tart cups.
- Each tart cup should hold 1/2 cup of the batter or heaping 1/4 cup for the muffin cups. Place batter in non-stick muffin tart cups.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes. To check if it's done, stick a toothpick or a chopstick in one of the cakes. If it come's out clean, they're read.
- Let them cook for 5 to 10 minutes in the container. If using a non-stick cup, remove from cup and put them in a cooling rack.