I started drinking coffee regularly around 8 years ago. Before that, I didn’t need the caffeine to feel awake after getting up. But once coffee became a habit, coffee, first thing in the morning, became a routine I looked forward to. But after getting vertigo, I wanted to start my day with a body check-in and my ritual has evolved into a mini morning yoga routine. It has changed the way I wake up and feel even more energized. My body feels awake and alive before the morning coffee. It takes less than 10 minutes.
- When my alarm clock rings and I feel ready to get up, the first thing I do is eye yoga with my eyes closed before I lift my head off the pillow.
- I sit up and start shoulder rolls. 5 forward and 5 back.
- Super slow neck rolls, clock-wise and counter clock-wise. I start with my chin to chest and I pause in parts that have extra tightness.
- I clasp my hands behind my back, place them behind the head and lower by elbows to the left and right for a side stretch. 5x each side.
- Keeping my hands clasp behind the head, I twist left to right slowly. 5x each side.
- Take 3 deep breaths.
It’s not that a cup of coffee is bad for me in the morning. But I realized that coffee would artificially wake up my body when it’s not ready. Starting the day with a mind-body connection energizes me in ways I couldn’t get from coffee. It’s easy to take for granted the ability to be able to just open your eyes, swing your legs to the floor, and get up. Starting your day with a mini-yoga routine makes you appreciate the things that have become automatic. It also taught me that it’s never too late to start a healthy ritual in the morning even for a non-morning person like me.